Microsoft denies filing E.U. complaint about Google+

This post has been updated since it was originally published.

Microsoft said Tuesday it has not filed a complaint with the European Union about Google+, contrary to a report from Reuters.

Jack Evans, a spokesman for Microsoft said that the company had not filed any sort of formal complaint about Google+ with the European Union.

Google did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the report.

Reuters had reported that Microsoft and other firms had complained to the European Union regarding Google+, Google’s social networking site.

A later version of the Reuters report indicated a complaint had not yet been filed with the European Commission.

The nature of the complaint was not immediately clear, but unnamed people “familiar with the situation” told Reuters that the move could expand the European Union’s current investigation into Google.

The two tech giants have been in a few public conflicts in recent months. Microsoft publicly criticized Google for its privacy policy, and even went so far as to create a short video slamming the reliability of Google Docs. The video, oddly enough, was posted on YouTube, which is owned by Google.

The companies also went head-to-head last week after reports that Google ads had circumvented Microsoft privacy controls in Apple’s Safari browser. In a company blog post, Dean Hachamovitch, the corporate vice president of Internet Explorer, said that Google was bypassing a Microsoft privacy standard called P3P privacy protection, too. Google fired back by saying that Microsoft’s policy was “widely non-operational” and that it is “impractical to comply” with Microsoft’s standard.

Microsoft also filed a complaint with the European Union last week stating that Motorola Mobility — which is in the process of being acquired by Google — was trying to block sales of Windows devices because of their capability to play Internet video.

“In legal proceedings on both sides of the Atlantic, Motorola is demanding that Microsoft take its products off the market, or else remove their standards-based ability to play video and connect wirelessly,” wrote Dave Heiner, deputy general counsel for Microsoft’s corporate standards and antitrust group in a blog post.

Related stories:

Google unified privacy settings unsettle users

Microsoft, others hit back at Google for privacy hack

Antitrust officials approve sale of Motorola Mobility to Google

Hayley Tsukayama covers consumer technology for The Washington Post.

business

technology

Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Comments
Show Comments
Most Read Business

business

technology

Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters