YouTube releases list of 2013’s top videos
It turns out we’re all really interested in knowing what the fox says. According to YouTube’s annual list of top-trending videos, Norwegian comedy duo Ylvis had the hottest video of the year with “What Does the Fox Say?” The posting drew 276 million views since it was posted in September.
Actually, it was a good year for Norwegians: The Norwegian Army version of the Harlem Shake dance craze came in right behind Ylvis’s video as the most popular of the 1.7 million versions of the dance that got uploaded to the site, YouTube said Wednesday in announcing the statistics.
Overall, the Google-owned video site said that 1 billion users watch 6 billion hours of content on its site every month — the vast majority of those view come from outside of the United States.
The top trending music video, Psy’s “Gentleman,” garnered 598 million views since it went up in April. Miley Cyrus picked up the second- and third-place spots in the music video world with “Wrecking Ball” and “We Can’t Stop,” respectively. Katy Perry’s “Roar” and P!nk’s “Just Give Me a Reason” rounded out the top five. The summer hit “Blurred Lines” came in sixth.
The site has been pushing to reel in regular viewers by heavily promoting channels rather than individual videos, and YouTube said that the videos in the top 10 have more than 23 million subscribers.
It was also a good year for brands on the site, with three brand videos making the top 10 trending list: “Evian Babies,” “Volvo Trucks” and “Telekinetic Coffee Surprise,” which promoted the new “Carrie “movie.
YouTube has been working to improve the experiences of brands on the site, and AdAge reported that the site is expected to make $5.6 billion in gross revenue and turn a $1.08 billion profit from U.S. ad revenues. The report also noted that accounts for approximately 20.5 percent of the overall U.S. online video ad market.
Top Trending Videos for 2013
1. Ylvis - The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?) by tvnorge
2. Harlem Shake (original army edition) by kennethaakonsen
3. How Animals Eat Their Food | MisterEpicMann by MisterEpicMann
4. Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball (Chatroulette Version) by SteveKardynal
5. baby&me / the new evian film by EvianBabies
6. Volvo Trucks - The Epic Split feat. Van Damme by VolvoTrucks
7. YOLO (feat. Adam Levine & Kendrick Lamar) by thelonelyisland
8. Telekinetic Coffee Shop Surprise by CarrieNYC
9. THE NFL : A Bad Lip Reading by BadLipReading
10. Mozart vs Skrillex. Epic Rap Battles of History Season 2 by ERB
Top Music Videos for 2013
1. PSY - GENTLEMAN M/V by officialpsy
2. Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball by MileyCyrusVEVO
3. Miley Cyrus - We Can’t Stop by MileyCyrusVEVO
4. Katy Perry - Roar (Official) by KatyPerryVEVO
5. P!nk - Just Give Me A Reason ft. Nate Ruess by PinkVEVO
6. Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines ft. T.I., Pharrell by RobinThickeVEVO
7. Rihanna - Stay ft. Mikky Ekko by RihannaVEVO
8. Naughty Boy - La La La ft. Sam Smith by NaughtyBoyVEVO
9. Selena Gomez - Come & Get It by SelenaGomezVEVO
10. Avicii - Wake Me Up (Official Video) by AviciiOfficialVEVO
Follow The Washington Post’s new tech blog, The Switch, where technology and policy connect.