In its second year, The Washington Post YJDP Awards will acknowledge significant achievements and contributions made by four high school journalists and journalism advisors across the Washington area. Organizers expect the awards program to continue to grow in scope over the years with the addition of new award categories.
• To recognize excellence in high school journalism
• To focus attention on quality scholastic journalism and exemplary journalism advisors
• To increase public awareness of the importance of quality high school journalism programs
• Emerging Young Journalist presented to a sophomore student who shows promise in journalism and whose work demonstrates the ability to be a future leader on his/her high school newspaper
• Young Journalist Leadership presented to the high school journalist who has exhibited excellence in journalism and has made solid contributions to the growth of their school newspaper
• Inspire Award presented to a beginning journalism advisor (less than 5 years’ experience)
• Mentoring Excellence presented to an experienced journalism advisor (more than 5 years’ experience)
Q: Who is a perfect candidate for this workshop?
A: All Washington area high school journalists and media advisors that meet the award criteria are encouraged to apply and are eligible to be nominated.
Q: Where can I find the criteria for each award and download a nomination packet?
A: When the application period is open the form will be available for download at www.washingtonpost.com/youngjournalists.
Q: Is there a limit to how many nominations one student or advisor can receive?
A: Yes. Only one nomination can be submitted per student or advisor; however, there is no limit to the number of students or advisors nominated per high school.
Q: How many awards will be presented?
A: A total of four awards will be presented: two students and two advisors.
Q: Is the nomination period currently open?
Q: When will the nomination period begin?
A: The nomination period will open in March 2014.
Questions about The Washington Post YJDP Awards can be directed to Jaye Linnen, YJDP Coordinator at (202) 334-4917 or firstname.lastname@example.org.