ELVIS PRESLEY WOULD have been 75 this year, and local Kimpton hotels are offering special sips and tastes to celebrate the anniversary of the rocker’s birth. The cocktails and cuisine coincide with the Newseum’s show “Elvis! His Groundbreaking, Hip-Shaking, Newsmaking Story,” which explores how Presley was portrayed in the media. All the cocktails and tastes are $10 to $11 and available through April 30.
1) Inspired by “Heartbreak Hotel,” the luscious libation called “The Heartbreaker” is made with Cuca Fresca Cachaca, Castries Peanut Rum Liqueur, creme de cacao and Godiva Chocolate Liqueur. It’s topped with creme de banana and garnished with a strip of bacon. Indulge at Poste Moderne Brasserie.
2) Available at Helix Lounge and created with “Jailhouse Rock” — the 1957 movie that starred Elvis as the cutest con ever — in mind, “Jailhouse on the Rocks” is made with Southern Comfort, creme de banana and Blue Curacao — on the rocks, of course. It’s more delicious than anything served behind bars.
3) The beautifully colored “Blue Hawaii” cocktail at Bar Rouge is a classic beach drink that shares a name with the 1961 movie starring Elvis as a tour guide in Hawaii. For your tasting pleasure, it combines both light rum and vodka with Blue Curacao, pineapple juice and sour mix.
4) Find the perfect balance with Urbana Restaurant and Wine Bar’s “All Shook Up” — it’s both an Elvis song and the name of a musical inspired by Presley’s music. The drink is made with Grey Goose vodka, muddled berries, banana liqueur and a splash of cream. It’s all shaken up and served over ice.
5) Last, but no less appetizing — or gorgeous — another Kimpton offering also provides a tasty crash course in Elvis history. Topaz Bar offers “Blue Suede Shoes,” named after an early hit. The concoction consists of citrus vodka, blue Curacao, sour mix and Sprite, all topped with champagne.
» Firefly Restaurant, 1310 New Hampshire Ave. NW; 202-861-1310. (Dupont Circle)
» Helix Lounge, 1430 Rhode Island Ave. NW; 202-462-9001. (McPherson Square)
» Bar Rouge, 1315 16th St. NW, 202-232-8000. (Farragut North)
» Topaz Bar, 1733 N St. NW; 202-393-3000. (Farragut North)
» Poste Moderne Brasserie, 555 8th St. NW; 202-783-6060. (Gallery Place)
» Urbana Restaurant and Wine Bar, 2121 P St. NW; 202-956-6650. (Dupont Circle)
Written by Express contributor Amy Cavanaugh
Photo by Jaqulynn Maisonneuve