Friday brings “Hansel and Gretal: Witch Hunters,” in which Jeremy Renner fights witches and pays his mortgage. Though the film may not be anything like what the Brothers Grimm envisioned, fairy tales have always been rich film fodder.
1. ‘Mirror, Mirror’ One of 2012’s “Snow White” retcons (alongside “Snow White and the Huntsman”), this Julia Roberts vehicle got one whole Oscar nomination! Good for you, costume designer Eiko Ishioka!
2. ‘Sleeping Beauty’ This is not the Disney version. Like, really not. This 2011 Australian film follows a young girl as she joins a bizarre brothel, where she’s drugged to sleep through all her, um, encounters.
3. ‘Red Riding Hood’ Besides one really cool shot in the trailer (the camera looks down on Red as she walks through the snow), no one remembers much of this 2011 film starring Amanda Seyfried.
4. ‘A Cinderella Story’ You take a mean stepmother, throw in a school dance and add Hilary Duff and you’ve got a 2004 retelling of “Cinderella” that … isn’t that great. Jennifer Coolidge is the stepmom, though.
5. ‘The Little Mermaid’ Who doesn’t love this 1989 animated film? Well, Hans Christian Andersen purists, who thought the script should stick to the original ending, in which the mermaid has to either kill the prince or turn into sea foam. She chooses foam and the prince marries someone else.