Meridian International Center is a nonprofit educational and cultural institution that promotes international understanding through the exchange of people, ideas and the arts.
Tucked away on a circular drive above 16th Street, this is an architectural twofer. Meridian House (1921), built in the style of an 18th-century town house for Ambassador Irwin Laughlin, is boasted as "the best example of French urban architecture in the United States."
Next to it at the three-acre center, which is dedicated to the promotion of international understanding, is the Georgian-style White-Meyer House, built in 1911 for Ambassador Henry White and later purchased by financier Eugene Meyer, late owner of The Washington Post.
The pair of regal residences was designed by John Russell Pope, architect of, among many other notable structures, the West Building of the National Gallery of Art.
The center presents frequent public art exhibitions at the White-Meyer House.