The doorway capstone of this weathered red brick Georgian mansion reads 1798. It was carved in London and came by ship into the port of Bladensburg just down the road. Today it serves as a tip-off that history stalks this elegant inn, which became the core of the University of Maryland after Charles Calvert of Riversdale first bought and then gave the mansion along with 600 acres to the state in 1856.
The Rossborough Inn now serves as the faculty club for the University of Maryland, generally a closed world of receptions, private parties, weddings and fancy shindigs. The facility features a wooden peg ballroom floor, a courtyard and a restored garden.
Inside, it's all Williamsburg blue, with lots of handsome wainscoting, silk and brass. Fireplaces in both first-floor dining rooms lend formality to tables set for guests.
-- Raymond M. Lane (Feb. 3, 1999)