Ball-Sellers House

Historic Site
'

Editorial Review

Oldest in Arlington, this house was built in the mid-1700s by yeoman farmer John Ball on a 166-acre land grant from Lord Fairfax. The one-room, mud-chinked log cabin is typical of the simple abodes of early settlers. The oak clapboard roof, protected by a later shingled outer roof, is one of the few surviving board roofs in America. After Ball died in 1766, the place was sold to William Carlin of Alexandria, tailor to George Washington and George Mason, among others. After the Carlins sold the property in 1887, it was developed as Glencarlyn, Arlington's first planned residential subdivision. The house was donated to the Arlington Historical Society and is open to the public.

-- Hank Burchard