Beall-Dawson House

Historic Site
'

Editorial Review

Built in 1815 for Upton Beall, the house is rock-solid evidence of the handsome living he made from his fees as Montgomery County court clerk. The house was built of brick, quite unusual for what was a crossroads village of 200 souls. The walls visible from the street were laid in the Flemish bond pattern, in which every other brick is turned end-on, requiring many more of them. The Federal-style town house had three entrances, one reserved for business; it has been converted to a window. The house is restored and finished in period, with a number of original items. After moving through the owners' elegant rooms, the visitor is brought up short by the stark plainness of the slave quarters.

-- Hank Burchard