Shiplap House

Historic Site
'

Editorial Review

This modest dwelling comes as something of a relief after the imposing mansions of Annapolis's early grandees. Built in 1715, it served Edward Smith as home, sawmill and a tavern and lodging for "strangers." The name shiplap comes from the siding on the rear of the building, applied in a manner mainly used in shipbuilding. During the restoration process, by a private owner and the Historical Annapolis Foundation (whose headquarters it now houses), much was learned about how ordinary houses were built in early Annapolis.

-- Hank Burchard