William Paca House and Gardens

Historic Site
'

Editorial Review

Built in 1765 for a wealthy young planter who would become a signer of the Declaration of Independence, governor of Maryland and a federal judge, this sprawling Georgian mansion required heroic rescue efforts before it was opened to the public in 1973. For one thing, there was 200-room hotel standing in the once and future garden, which has been restored to all its five-terraced, two-acre glory by the Historic Annapolis Foundation. The five-part house is authentically finished and furnished throughout.

-- Hank Burchard