This position is located in our VA, McLean facility
Principal Systems Engineer
Systems Engineer to provide Tier 3 systems engineering architecting, design, and operations/maintenance support for several systems within the customer's architecture. The SE will be instrumental in the delivery of new technologies, services and solutions to meet customer's requirements.
Responsibilities associated with this position include maintaining systems documentation, hardware/software recommendations, troubleshooting, providing Tier 3 systems support, hardware installation, and rotating after hours/weekend support.
Responsible for the architecture, scalability, reliability, and performance of server-class hardware, operating systems, virtualization platforms, tools and applications, including windows servers, Linux, VMware and other enterprise infrastructure applications.
Maintain a strong awareness of technical trends in information technology. Research and learn new technologies and enhancements to existing technologies to keep current and relevant technology trends.
Identify and manage dependencies with other systems and elements of the IT infrastructure. Evaluate industry offering to identify products and technologies with the potential to support the design. Recommend improvements to infrastructure systems and technologies.
Identify, analyze, define and coordinate user, customer and stakeholder needs and translates them into technical requirements. Work with stakeholders as well as technical and analytical counterparts to define constraints, and develop requirements and concept of operations documentation. Work with stakeholders to identify best-fit technical solutions for business unit needs.
Identify technical risks and develop mitigation strategies. Provide assistance to project or program teams. Provide conceptual design, prototypes, and test cycles appropriate to a chosen technical solution. Help the project or program team prepare for project management framework. Participate in project or program team activities.
Validate system elements and requirements. Survey products and technical infrastructure as part of the system selection process. Assess system designs to validate them against expected technical parameters.
Identify hardware and applications needed to complete the development process. Develop and implement test plans for commercial off the shelf (COTS) and custom developed systems. Ensure all products and administrative documentation are completed and maintained in order to ensure continuity and historical reference. Ensure deliverables meet all relevant quality and security standards.
This position requires an active TS/SCI security clearance and Polygraph.
1. Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training, or work/military experience.
2. Masters Degree preferred.
10-15 years of related systems engineering experience.
• BA/BS in a scientific or technical discipline or an equivalent combination of training and experience
• Four or more years of related experience
• Strong hands on experience in Linux OS environment. Red Hat Enterprise preferred, and Microsoft Server (2003, 2008)
• Demonstrated experience with internet/networking technologies such as TCP/IP, SSH, SNMP, NTP, SYSLOG, FTP, HTTP, SSL
• Demonstrated experience support DNS, or LDAP, along with the selection deployment O&M and monitoring of hardware (servers, load balancers, SANs, KVMs, etc...)
• Experience with VMware vSphere/vCenter or related virtual technologies
• Demonstrated initiative, sound judgment, tact and ability to work independently and as a team member
• Strong interpersonal communication, organizational and planning skills (Writing, verbal, and briefing)
• Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks, short deadlines, competing priorities, maintain sound relationships with customers, stakeholders and other mission partners to meet tactical and strategic goals
• Microsoft certification
• Red hat certification
• Experience performing administrative tasks such as scripting, automation, and system performance tuning
• Familiarity with Cisco and Juniper routers, switches, and firewalls
• Experience with system monitoring and alerting tools (such as Tivoli, Netcool, SCOM, Nagios, etc..)Click Here to Apply