We are currently seeking interns to serve from September-December 2013 or January-May 2014.
During this unpaid (college credit available) internship, you will serve 20 hours per week in the Maryland State House. You will gain experience in a fast-paced, high-level office environment and serve the State of Maryland. Past interns have learned about media relations, event preparation and policy-based statistical analysis. We're seeking excellent writers who are ready to contribute to a team of dedicated, forward-thinking communications professionals. Send us your cover letter, resume and writing sample today!
Interns are responsible for:
- Drafting letters for event program booklets.
- Proofreading documents prepared by staff.
- Answering the main press office phone line and directing phone calls as needed.
- Transcribing speeches.
- Compiling news articles and media lists.
- Assisting press staff in research.
- Other duties as assigned.
Interns should possess:
- Knowledge of the O'Malley-Brown Administration accomplishments and programs.
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Professional office etiquette and demeanor when answering the telephone and interacting with office peers and guests.
- Ability to comprehend legislation, initiatives and goals of the Governor.
- Understanding of the legislative process in Maryland.
- Computer Skills: Interns should be strong users of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Drive and Adobe Acrobat. Interns should possess the ability to use search and analytical skills to find information online and assess validity.