Do you want to fight global warming while gaining valuable grassroots organizing knowledge and experience? If yes, then Chesapeake Climate Action Network has the perfect internship for you. We are currently hiring a team of interns for the fall of 2013. Whether you're new to organizing or looking to hone your skills, CCAN's fall organizing internships offer valuable experience to learn more and challenge yourself as a climate campaigner.
For ten years, CCAN has been working in Maryland, Virginia, and DC to fight climate change by standing up to polluters and working to pass clean energy policies. This fall, we are working on several fronts to reduce and prevent climate pollution. In Virginia, we are working to bring wind and solar power to the commonwealth by overcoming Dominion Power's hold on our energy policy, stop dirty energy like offshore oil drilling, and highlight Virginia's unique vulnerability to climate consequences such as the impact of sea level rise on Hampton Roads. In Maryland, we are building a statewide movement to take on the gas industry and put strong protections in place from the dangerous impacts of fracking.
- Participate in community outreach such as collecting petition signatures, door to door canvassing, tabling at events and other field work
- Learn to plan, organize and execute campaigns, campaign events and creative actions
- Help recruit new volunteers and work with existing volunteer leaders to implement grassroots campaign tactics
- Conduct campaign related research as needed
- Write and publish blog posts and letters to the editor in support of the campaign
- Have an amazing opportunity to learn grassroots campaigning skills from an organization that climate activist Bill McKibben has called the "best regional climate organization in the world."
- Driving passion to combat climate change and secure clean energy victories
- Eagerness to learn environmental advocacy and organizing skills (experience with grassroots organizing is preferred)
- Blogging experience and social-media skills (preferred)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong research and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and within a team to meet goals under a deadline
- Comfort with public speaking
- A sense of humor, and a friendly positive attitude
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends
We have two offices: one in Richmond, VA and one in Takoma Park, MD-- just 2 blocks from the red-line metro. If you are unable to commute to either locations, we offer limited opportunities to work from your campus or community.
TERM & COMPENSATION
20 hours/week for 10 weeks, preferred. Minimum of 15 hours/week for 8 weeks. All CCAN internships are unpaid. Academic credit is available where applicable.