A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR audiences value information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to partnerships and development. Every day NPR and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
Love NPR and want to hear and see its great content in new places and on new platforms? Then fire up your network because we’re looking for the right person to help re-define the future of NPR through innovative partnerships. If you’ve got great business development skills, a firm grasp on the public media space, superb process and organizational chops, and a whole lot of energy to tackle big challenges in a time of change, then this position could be for you. The NPR Business Partnerships team is looking to round out its all-star team with a natural leader who will help set the organizational course and shape the future of public media through original business and partnerships strategy.
This role requires one part savvy partnerships idealist, two parts business analysis and team lead, and one part projects and process champion. In short, the Manager of Business Partnerships has the following primary responsibilities:
- Support the organization’s partnerships strategy through the identification of innovative partnership opportunities and development of smart business cases.
- Manage relationships with 250+ existing partnerships to ensure low risk, favorable terms and NPR vision, mission, and priorities alignment.
- Collaborate with key internal stakeholders (digital media, music, news, legal, and finance) to manage the contract lifecycle across multiple divisions and strategic initiatives.
The Manager, Business Partnerships, works under the direct supervision of the Director, Business Partnerships.
|Essential Duties Include:
This position works with award winning and unique teams across NPR to identify new partnership opportunities, develop business cases and models, and ultimately further the vision, brand, and reach of NPR content.
Support partnership strategy
- Develop business terms, review contracts, and work with internal teams to ensure contracts are completed and mitigate risk.
- Evaluate business ideas using market research, scenario planning, and analysis frameworks. Present ideas and defend recommendations.
- Perform industry research and analysis to inform partner portfolio planning, including ROI analysis, cost/benefit, scenario planning, and other data-driven methodologies.
- Lead contract negotiations under the direct supervision of the Director, Business Partnerships.
- Develop and prioritize contract legal needs in consultation with NPR’s Office of the General Counsel.
- Manage day-to-day relationships with external partners, including fielding and vetting partnership inquiries, managing long-term partnership needs, and business partnerships Salesforce environment.
- Facilitate coordination across NPR divisions to ensure that partnerships are developed, executed, and tracked in alignment with organizational goals/objectives.
- Create and communicate standard processes for partnership cultivation and tracking.
- Collaborate with NPR finance and accounting teams to ensure partnership obligations are met.
- Work with the partnerships and strategy leadership teams to provide the organization with transparency and information across the business partnerships landscape.
- Lead special partnership projects that support and forward the organization’s internal efficiency, revenue, and technology advancement goals.
All applications must include both a resume and a sample business case analysis to be considered.
Education: Masters Degree in business, law, communications or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 5 years relevant work experience in business development, contract negotiations, consulting, or large project management roles.
- Demonstrated experience collaborating on strategic vision and identifying/implementing specific partnership initiatives to support it.
- Demonstrated understanding of project management needs within matrix organizations.
- Experience developing and managing a diverse portfolio of partner relationships.
- Advanced proficiency and ability to work/coordinate efforts across multiple disciplines such as product/program development, product management, project management, technology, sponsorship, and legal.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills, strong integrity, and creative problem solving qualities with proven ability to communicate with executives, both verbal and written forms.
- Advanced CRM system knowledge, namely Salesforce.
- Ability to inspire teams and manage to results.
- Self-motivated and able to work under deadline pressure.
Bonus Points for:
- Project management, Salesforce, and Agile Scrum certifications.
- Excellent judgment, an affinity for ambiguity, and a highly developed sense of humor.
- Passion to collaborate and an ability to effectively communicate at all levels.
- Well-versed in the challenges facing media organizations today and a passion for creating a bright future for NPR.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you.
If you apply for this job, here's what you can expect in our interview process. If you’re checking out technical or digital roles, here are some additional things you should consider about what you’ll experience at NPR.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development. NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Keep up with us on Social Media on: Facebook at This Is NPR, Twitter at @NPRjobs, YouTube at NPR Life - as well as #NPRlife for 'behind the scenes' tweets from our colleagues.