Global AEBD is a US 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, with a Central American office based in Nicaragua coming soon. Our entirely volunteer staff is dedicated to the vision that entrepreneurship is the most effective tool to reduce poverty and unemployment.
The mission of Global AEBD is to boost entrepreneurial capabilities in the developing world through the effective use of online technologies and close collaboration with local and international institutions. Our current focus is on the Central American countries of Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua. In this region, some 80% of entrepreneurial startups collapse in less than five years, which stimulates deprivation: 10 million people are still poor and half of the labor force is underemployed.
To help alleviate such appalling conditions, Global AEBD is initiating a program called "Boosting Entrepreneurial Empowerment in Central America (BEE)". BEE will simultaneously boost and sustain entrepreneurial synergies, know-how, and opportunities through a user-friendly, interactive online hub. Central American entrepreneurs will be able to reduce business risks and enhance their success through a variety of tools and programs to be provided at the hub, such as online mentoring, coaching, training, and peer to peer and business to business networking. For more information on the BEE program, please see the following link: http://www.globalaebd.org/BEE/
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY DESCRIPTION:
Global AEBD is looking for an experienced Python Developer to help create scalable modules (tools and programs) for the BEE program's online hub.
- Independent, web based solutions that are intuitive for an international audience of both skilled and un-skilled entrepreneurs.
- Core team member who can communicate effectively with Global AEBD's Chief Officers and partner organizations
- Core team member who can analyze partner requirements for system features and functionality, set expectations and establish priorities
Hub development is in the very early stages. We are currently gathering requirements and discussing ideas with potential partners.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERTISE:
- Strong knowledge of software engineering "best practices"
- Jinja, Flask and/or other Python web development experience
- Ability to work independently and to thrive in a virtual, start-up environment
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Project management skills a plus
- Interest and/or experience in online learning programs a plus
- Experience with social network integration a plus
- Bilingual (English - Spanish) a plus
We ask for a commitment of approximately 10 hours per week.
This is a great opportunity to use your technical skills to help empower the Central American business community and to help reduce poverty in the region. We look forward to hearing from you!