What happened between Bull Run and this date, 150 years ago —
● In Washington, Congress voted for the nation’s first income tax to pay for the war.
● In Missouri, Confederates won the war’s second major conflict — the Battle of Wilson’s Creek — and gained control of part of this slaveholding state that had stayed in the Union.
● In western Virginia, Unionist citizens set the date to vote on forming a new state loyal to the Union. This state would become West Virginia in June 1863.
● In North Carolina, Union forces drove the Confederates from Hatteras Island. This threatened the state’s mainland and its shipping.
● In Kentucky, another slaveholding state that hadn’t seceded, both sides occupied territory, ending the state’s hope of staying out of the war.