No purchase necessary to enter this contest. This contest is sponsored by WP Company LLC d/b/a The Washington Post (“Sponsor”). Anyone in the 50 United States and the District of Columbia is eligible to enter the Crossword Anniversary Contest. Contestants must be 13 years of age or older to enter. Limit one entry per person. Employees, officers, directors and representatives of Sponsor and its affiliates, and those with whom they are domiciled are not eligible. Void where prohibited by law. Contest subject to all federal, state and local laws.
1. Get a print version of the Dec. 1, 2013, issue of WP Magazine or go online to www.washingtonpost.com/magazine.
2. Work each of the four contest puzzles by Merl Reagle until you can answer the four questions posed at the end of the instructions. Make sure that your answers are the product of your own work and not the result of information or answers provided by third parties. Do not share your answers with anyone else.
3. E-mail your answers to the question or questions to email@example.com, and put the words “Crossword Contest Answers” in the subject field of the e-mail. In the body of the e-mail, you must provide:
a. Your name, age and home town;
b. A phone number and an e-mail address (not for publication);
c. Your answers to the question or questions posed by the crossword puzzles.
Entries without this information will not be considered. You will also receive a confirmation e-mail to the address you provided with your entry.
4. E-mails meeting the above criteria and containing the correct answers to the four questions posed on the instructions page must be received by Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2013, at 11:59 p.m. EST, but keep your puzzles and a copy of your e-mail for verification. The first e-mail received by The Post that contains all of the correct answers will be declared the winning entry (the selected “Winner”), and the sender will be announced as the Winner of the contest. The next 100 e-mails received containing the correct answers will be put into a pool, from which 10 entries will be randomly selected by The Washington Post Magazine as finalists (each, a “Finalist”). Photos of the Winner and 10 Finalists will be published on Sunday, Dec. 29, 2013. By entering, you authorize The Post to publish your photo and to identify you as an entrant in the Crossword Anniversary Contest. In the event that fewer than 11 eligible entrants correctly answer the question(s) posed by the crossword puzzles, not all of the offered prizes will be awarded.
5. The Winner will receive $1,000. The 10 Finalists will each receive $100. Odds of winning and of being a Finalist depend on your skills in identifying the correct answers.
6. If you have questions or concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and write “Crossword Contest Question” in the subject field.
Limitation of Liability And General Conditions:
By participating in this Contest, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the judges, which are final and binding in all respects. By entering, each entrant agrees to release, discharge, indemnify, and hold harmless Sponsor and each of its parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries and each of their respective employees, officers, shareholders, directors, representatives and agents (collectively, “Releasees”) from and against any claims, damages or liability involving or arising out of (i) late, lost, delayed, misdirected, postage due, mutilated, incomplete, unreadable, inaccurate, garbled or unintelligible entries; (ii) telephone system, technical or computer malfunctions, lost connections, disconnections, transmission or other errors of any kind whether mechanical, human, electronic or otherwise; (iii) data corruption, theft, destruction, unauthorized access to or alteration of entry or other materials; (iv) any injuries, losses or damages of any kind caused, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, by the prize or resulting from acceptance, possession or use or misuse of any prize or from participating in the Contest or any Contest related activity; or (v) any printing, distribution, typographical, administrative, human or technological errors involving or associated with the Contest. Sponsor disclaims any liability for damage to any computer system resulting from participating in, or accessing or downloading information in connection with the Contest. Entrants must have all necessary rights in their entries. Entries that are late, incomplete, unreadable, inaccurate, false, unintelligible or otherwise not in compliance with these Official Rules will be disqualified. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, destroyed or misdirected entries. Sponsor shall have no liability for any finalist or winner notification that is lost, intercepted or not received for any reason. In Sponsor’s sole discretion, a selected potential finalist or winner may be disqualified and required to forfeit the opportunity to participate further in the Contest, and an alternate potential finalist or winner may be selected in accordance with these Official Rules from among the remaining eligible entries for any reason, including without limitation if a selected potential finalist or winner (i) is unreachable or notification is returned as undeliverable; (ii) declines or cannot accept the opportunity to participate further in the Contest for any reason; or (iii) fails to comply with these Official Rules.
All costs and expenses are not included and are the winners’ responsibilities unless indicated herein as being awarded. No transfer, substitution or cash equivalent of any prize element permitted. Elements of the prize may not be exchanged. Sponsor and/or a prize provider may substitute a prize (or a portion of a prize) with one of equal or greater retail value if a prize (or a portion of a prize) is unavailable or cannot be awarded for any reason. Winners will be responsible for reporting and payment of all applicable federal, state and local taxes associated with claiming these prizes. Please consult your tax adviser regarding the tax implications of winning.
Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to modify, cancel or suspend this Contest (or any portion of the Contest) should any virus, bug, computer problem or other cause or problem corrupt or inhibit the administration, security or proper operation of the Contest and, in such situation (or in the event of any type of error), to select the winners from eligible entries received prior to the action taken or in such manner as deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor. In no event will Sponsor be liable for more than the stated number of prizes in these Official Rules. Sponsor may prohibit entrant from participating in the Contest or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception, or other unfair practices or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrant or Sponsor’s representatives. Releasees have not made and/or are not responsible for any misrepresentation or guaranty, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the prizes. By entering, each Entrant agrees that Sponsor may use his or her entry and other information (e.g., name, photos, and related information) in any and all media throughout the universe and in perpetuity for any purpose as determined by Sponsor, including promotional purposes without additional compensation. By accepting a prize, each winner agrees and acknowledges that Sponsor may use winner’s name, voice, biographical data, likeness and city name in any and all media throughout the universe and in perpetuity for any purpose as determined by Sponsor, including promotional purposes without additional compensation, except where prohibited by law. Sponsor: WP Company LLC, 1150 15th Street NW, Washington, DC 20071. Finalist and winner may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility and/or publicity/liability release. Failure to do so may result in forfeiture of prizes. If a prize is forfeited or a finalist/winner is disqualified, then (in Sponsor’s sole discretion) an alternate winner for that prize will be selected from among the other eligible entries in accordance with these Official Rules. Forfeited prizes may not be awarded. By entering the Contest, entrants agree that: (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out of pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Contest, but in no event will attorneys’ fees be awarded or recoverable; and (3) under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain any award for, and entrant hereby knowingly and expressly waives all rights to seek, punitive, incidental or consequential damages and/or any other damages, other than actual out of pocket expenses, and/or any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased.
E-mail us at email@example.com.
For more articles, as well as features such as Date Lab, Gene Weingarten and more, visit WP Magazine.
Follow the Magazine on Twitter.
Like us on Facebook.