* The TSA has the right to remove and examine all contents. Placing the items in clear plastic bags lowers the chances of your personal items being handled.
* TSA prefers that you place footwear on top of items in checked baggage, and spread out books and documents within your luggage. Don’t stack them all together.
* Make sure to use TSA-approved locks, and label each piece of luggage.
If you are uncertain of anything you might pack, visit www.tsa.gov or call 866-289-9673. Safe travels! -- Heloise
LETTER OF LAUGHTER
Dear Heloise: While I was watching my grandson the other day, we went outside to water my garden. He was helping me, and we went one by one watering all of my plants. When we got to the tomatoes, he yelled, “Apple!” and pulled off one of my green tomatoes! Cracked me up! -- A Reader in Texas
Dear Readers: Want to change the size of the font or icons on your desktop screen? Here’s how to do it on most computers:
* Click the “start” button, usually in the lower left-hand corner
* Select “Control Panel”
* Then select “Appearance and Personalization”
* Click “Display”
* It will give you the option to select small, medium or large
* Click “Apply” to set the new settings.
You might need to log off and back on to see the new settings take effect. -- Heloise
Dear Heloise: My son wears a retainer. After having to replace it the second time, which is costly, we were searching for something to help him keep track of it.
Our dentist mentioned that he could make it in different colors and with designs. It cost a little extra, but we made it a bright color so that it is noticeable when my son takes it out and sets it down somewhere. I am happy to say that with the bright color (and a little extra diligence on his part), we have not had to replace another one. -- Linda, via e-mail
Dear Heloise: I keep the little plastic container that my mechanical pencil lead comes in and use it to store my sewing needles. It is just the right size, easy to find, and I don’t prick myself as much anymore. -- A Reader, via e-mail
Send a hint to Heloise, P.O. Box 795000, San Antonio, Tex. 78279-5000, fax it to 210-HELOISE or e-mail it to Heloise@Heloise.com. Please include your city and state.
2012, King Features Syndicate