Frida Kahlo, circa 1944, by Lola Alvarez Bravo. A portrait of the artist at the Casa Azul alongside one of her xoloescuintle dogs, the rare, hairless breed tied to the Aztec culture. The portrait shows off the Blue House, as it was also known, which was built by her father the year she was born, 1907. When Diego Rivera paid up the mortgage after the two married, the couple remade the French neoclassical design into more of a stucco look, filling it with Mexican artifacts and figurines. They lived there the rest of their lives, and Rivera donated it to the Mexican government, which opened it as Museo Frida Kahlo in 1958.
Lola Alvarez Bravo