What’s the Deal? This week’s best travel bargains around the globe.
By Carol Sottili and Andrea Sachs,
What’s the Deal?
This week’s best travel bargains around the globe
● Book a BritRail Freedom of Scotland Travelpass by May 10 and receive a free day of rail travel around Scotland. Pay $225 for five days (usually four) of travel within an eight-day period or $299 for nine days (vs. eight) within 15 days. Standard-class only; taxes and shipping included. The hop-on, hop-off pass also includes the Caledonian MacBrayne and Strathclyde ferries and key bus links. Travel up to six months after booking. Info: 866-938-RAIL (7245), www.britrail.com.
● Visit the Deep Creek Lake area of Western Maryland with a deal from the Garrett County Chamber of Commerce. Through May 16, stay three nights for the price of two, plus receive one discounted activity. Promotion applies to nine lodging companies, including hotels, inns and vacation home rental companies. For example, a suite for two at the Waters Run Guest House & Suite bed-and-breakfast inn is now $190 for three nights (plus $15 taxes), a savings of $95. Discounted activity choices include a pass to Smiley’s Fun Zone family entertainment center for $19.95, a savings of $13. Info: 301-387-4386, www.visitdeepcreek.com.
● Book a Regent Seven Seas Cruises sailing between Mumbai and Safaga, Egypt, by June 30, and receive free three-night pre- and post-cruise land tours. The 17-night cruise, departing Nov. 14, and a similar 16-night itinerary departing April 18, 2013, include stops in Oman, Jordan and the United Arab Emirates. The Pharaoh’s Treasures land tour in Egypt includes one night’s lodging in Cairo, two nights in Luxor, most meals and daily sightseeing, and the Taj Mahal land tour in India includes one night in Jaipur, one night in Agra, one night in Delhi, most meals and daily sightseeing; the two tours, priced separately, would cost $3,398 per person double. Total cost, including cruise, shore excursions, transfers, land tours, round-trip airfare from Washington, tips, beverages and taxes, starts at $8,499 for the November departure and $10,499 for the April departure. Info: 800-285-1835, www.rssc.com.
●Save 25 percent on Hurtigruten’s Classic Coastal voyages between Bergen and Kirkenes, Norway. Deal applies to more than 50 departures in August, September and early October on nine ships. Pricing varies by date, itinerary and ship. For example, price for a six-night southbound cruise aboard the M/S Kong Harald departing Oct. 3 starts at $1,028 per person double (plus $40 port charges) after discount. Deadline to book is May 31. Info: 866-552-0371, www.hurtigruten.us.
● JetBlue is offering a deal for those who fly often between Boston and Washington. The Go Pack promotion offers 10 one-way flights for travel April 23 through June 27 for $699 (taxes are $7 extra per flight). The deal applies to flights between Boston Logan and Reagan National, Washington Dulles or BWI Marshall. Flights can be booked starting April 20 and up to 90 minutes before departure. A typical advance-purchase one-way sale fare is about $7 cheaper than the Go Pack rate, but last-minute fares usually run more than $200 each way. Buy by April 17. Info: www.jetblue.com/gopack/bos-dc.
● Mauiva AirCruise, which specializes in exclusive packages, is launching the new Sun and Fun Experience, a seven-day Caribbean hop via private plane. The deal costs $1,999 per person double and includes charter air transport from Orlando to a trio of destinations — Grand Bahama Island, Grand Cayman and Cancun — plus two nights at an all-inclusive resort on each island (for example, Grand Lucayan Bahamas). Special activities, such as a catamaran sail in Grand Cayman and Xplor ecological park in Cancun, are also included. Add $162 customs fee, plus air from Washington to Orlando. Departures start Sept. 22 and run every other day. Maximum 30 guests. Booked separately, the trip would cost more than $3,000. Info: 407-215-7204, www.mauivaaircruise.com.
● Spend five nights in the Seychelles for less than the price of airfare alone. The Ethiopian Airlines package starts at $1,653 per person double and includes round-trip air from Washington Dulles to Mahe Island, via Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; accommodations at the Augerine Hotel, on the largest island in the Seychelles; breakfasts; and taxes. Book by April 30; travel by May 31 or Aug. 1 to Nov. 30. By comparison, fares typically start at about $2,000 and the hotel charges from $216 a night. Info: 800-445-2733, www.seeyouinethiopia.com.
Carol Sottili, Andrea Sachs
Submit travel deals to firstname.lastname@example.org. Prices were verified at press time Thursday, but deals sell out and availability is not guaranteed. Some restrictions may apply.