Some suggestions from locals to make you feel like an insider:
1. Local custom: Watch the potty mouth. As indicated by the “no cursing” signs along the oceanfront’s main drag, loud profanity is a local violation and you could be fined.
2. Local word/phrase: Rockfish. Other people call it striped bass.
3. Worst leg of the trip from the D.C. region: Naturally, Interstate 95 between D.C. and Fredericksburg.
4. A souvenir you must take home with you: A photo of you hugging the 34-foot King Neptune statue at 31st Street on the boardwalk.
5. Food/drink to try: Seafood, obviously, but also consider The Orange Crush – a fresh- fruit-and-liquor drink that has a cult following and has even inspired a popular annual festival.