Back to previous page


Post Most

Additional charges against defendants in 2010 SE fatal shootings

By ,

A District grand jury Wednesday indicted five men in a series of 2010 shootings that culminated in a deadly drive-by with 30 charges including conspiracy, theft and assault with intent to kill while armed.

The five men, all from the District, had already been indicted on 24 counts, including first-degree premeditated murder, in the shootings that left five dead and eight injured. All five — Orlando Carter, 21; his brother, Sanquan, 20; Jeffrey D. Best, 22; Robert Bost, 22; and Lamar Williams, 22 — pleaded not guilty. Their trial is scheduled for 2012.

The new indictment was a result of interviews by detectives and prosecutors with four newly identified injured victims, witnesses and others thought to be involved in planning or attempting to cover up the shootings. Prosecutors said they expect charges against new defendants in the coming months but did not elaborate.

A month after the shootings, Nathaniel Simms, 27, pleaded guilty to five counts of second-degree murder while armed. Simms, who agreed to cooperate with authorities, was not mentioned in Wednesday’s indictment.

The new indictment links a series of attacks that occurred within nine days. The first, on March 22, 2010, in the 1300 block of Alabama Avenue SE, killed Jordan Howe and injured two others. Prosecutors said that shooting occurred after Sanquan Carter attended a party, noticed that his gold-colored bracelet was missing and suspected someone at the party of stealing it. Carter called his brother Orlando, Best and Williams to the apartment building where the party occurred and began shooting, according to charging documents.

In retaliation for that shooting, prosecutors said, Orlando Carter was shot by Howe’s friends on March 23 in the area of Sixth Street and Chesapeake Avenue SE.

Seven days later, after Howe’s funeral, prosecutors say, Orlando Carter, Best and Bost robbed and fatally shot Tavon Nelson, 17, in the unit block of Galveston Street SW. The three men then carried out a drive-by shooting with an AK-47 rifle and a .45-caliber semi-automatic pistol in the 4000 block of South Capitol Street, prosecutors charge.

That shooting resulted in the deaths of three mourners who attended Howe’s funeral earlier in the day: Brishell Jones, 16, Davaughn Boyd, 19, and William Jones, 19. Six others were wounded.

Each of the South Capitol Street shootings carries a maximum sentence of life in prison without parole, prosecutors said. A status hearing is scheduled for Friday.

© The Washington Post Company