2 charged in fatal shooting at BP station in Md.

Lynh Bui/The Washington Post - Prince George's County Police investigate a homicide Monday morning at a BP gas station in Forestville.

Two men have been arrested in Monday’s fatal shooting of a Prince George’s County man, county police said Tuesday.

Dominick Payne, 19, was arrested Monday near the scene of the shooting, a BP gas station in District Heights. Alex Micah Marshall, 22, was arrested Tuesday in the District, where both men live. Payne and Marshall were charged with first- and second-degree murder.

More crime and safety news

Bodies of two men found under I-295

Bodies of two men found under I-295

D.C. police see no signs of foul play, a medical examiner has not yet determined how the men died.

Man charged after Tysons Corner standoff

Michael Gordon, 62, has been charged after he “threatened to shoot officers with a weapon.”

Fairfax City’s Rappoport to step down as police chief

The veteran officer will leave in May to join Amtrak’s police force.

Read more

Dalonte Allen Jackson, 25, was found in the gas station’s lobby about 3 a.m. with a gunshot wound. He was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Authorities said Jackson may have been targeted and killed in a drug-related robbery.

Jackson was the oldest of six children, the first grandchild and great-grandchild in a tightknit Fort Washington family. He died the day before his sister Jasmine turned 17.

Jackson left behind no children, a fact his mother lamented.

“I don’t have anything to remember him by,” Sherresse Jackson said.

Jackson was a caregiver, his aunt Nichelle Jackson said, who helped tend to a mentally disabled cousin and the children of women he dated. She helped raise him, along with his grandmother and his mother. Jackson was a sports fan who used his vacation time to travel to Morgan State University in Baltimore, where his brother, DeWayne, was a basketball player.

“He was a normal, average guy, trying to survive out here,” she said. He was working on getting a job with Dish Network, she added.

Jackson had been in some trouble with the law over the years, starting with a 2006 assault charge and ending with a domestic dispute in August. His aunt said that she called police that day because of a fight over a girl he was dating but that she had not wanted to pursue the case.

“He could be mean, but he had a beautiful heart,” his mother said.

“He was getting his life right. He was doing the right thing.”

Read what others are saying