Students and staff at Wilson High School were evacuated Wednesday morning, after a chemical was spilled at the Wilson Aquatic Center next door, D.C. fire officials said.
D.C. Public School officials said in a tweet that students were sent to the nearby Deal Middle School. And just before noon, school officials tweeted that they are sending Wilson students home for the day because the school building is “not safe for students to return.”
Another tweet said any student needing additional help or having transportation needs will remain at Deal. The tweet also said “All students are safe.”
The school was not impacted, but a construction worker was seriously injured after being exposed to the spill at the aquatic center in upper Northwest Washington, D.C. fire officials said.
The construction worker was working on a pipe at the aquatic facility in the 4550 block of Fort Drive when it created “some type of chemical spill,” said Oscar Mendez, a spokesman at the D.C. Fire Department.
Gwendolyn Crump, a D.C. police spokeswoman, said the Wilson pool was “being treated with chemicals” when the spill happened.
The incident began around 9:19 a.m., when D.C. fire officials said they received a call for a report of a spill at the center. They did not immediately know what kind of chemical was spilled, but said it was “some kind of acid.”