Authorities believe unattended grill caused two-alarm blaze in Prince George’s County

An unattended charcoal grill caused a two-alarm fire that left 12 people homeless Thursday night, a fire department spokesman said.

Mark Brady, spokesman for the Prince George’s County Fire Department, said the fire was on a Clinton townhome’s back deck. Authorities believe the grill started the 8:40 p.m. blaze on Surrats Village Drive, causing an estimated $200,000 worth of damage.

Brady said the fire displaced two families — including six adults and six children — from two townhomes in the 5900 block of Surrats Village Drive.

Get updates on your area delivered via e-mail

Victoria St. Martin covers breaking news and Prince William County for The Post's Local desk.

local

crime

Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Comments
Show Comments
Most Read Local

local

crime

Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.