Laurel hair salon fire likely started by unattended candle, authorities say

A fire at a Laurel hair salon Wednesday morning that authorities believe was caused by an unattended candle marks the third blaze this month that began from candles or incense, said a Prince George’s County Fire/EMS spokesman.

The spokesman, Mark Brady, said a 1 a.m. fire at Sheer Bliss Salon & Day Spa started from a burning candle was left behind on a second floor. Brady said the salon, nestled inside a former house in the 100 block of Main Street, was closed when the blaze began.

The fire caused $50,000 worth of damage, authorities said. No one was injured.

Brady said an apartment fire in Mount Rainier on Aug. 4 started from unattended incense and caused $10,000 worth of damage. Another fire at a Capitol Heights home on Aug. 3 started from an unattended candle and caused $20,000 worth of damage, he said.

Get updates on your area delivered via e-mail

Victoria St. Martin covers breaking news and Prince William County for The Post's Local desk.
Comments
Show Comments
Most Read Local