A 69-year-old man perished after a fire inside his Kensington home on Wednesday — the third fire-related fatality already this year in Montgomery County.
About 4:30 a.m., firefighters were called to the 3900 block of Decatur Avenue for the report of a fire in a kitchen. They found Thomas Dolan Geoghegan severely burned in the kitchen area, officials said.
He was taken to a hospital, where he later died. Fire investigators think he was trying to light a cigarette over a stove when his clothing accidentally caught on fire. A smoke alarm in the home alerted other occupants to the fire.