Pr. George’s police investigate death of man pulled from flaming portable toilet Tuesday

A man died after suffering burns from being inside of a flaming portable toilet in Prince George’s County on Tuesday, authorities said.

A Maryland State Trooper saw the fire about 7 a.m. at Sunnyside Neighborhood Park in College Park and put it out with fire extinguishers from his cruiser, fire officials said. The trooper then pulled the man, who was in his early 20s, out of the burning plastic structure, and he was taken by helicopter to a nearby hospital, where he died Tuesday afternoon.

Prince George’s police are investigating the death, and it is unclear whether it was a homicide, suicide or accident, police said. The county fire department is also investigating.

Lynh Bui is a Prince George's County public safety reporter and former Montgomery County education reporter.

local

crime

Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Comments
Show Comments
Most Read Local

local

crime

Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.