Toxic fumes at house in Southeast D.C. send 3 firefighters, 1 resident to hospital

Two D.C. firefighters and a Southeast Washington resident were sent to the hospital Wednesday night after they inhaled toxic fumes inside the resident’s home, D.C. fire officials said.

Firefighters were dispatched for a medical call in the 2300 block of Good Hope Road about 6:45 p.m., and about 30 minutes later the firefighters called for a Hazmat unit, said Timothy Wilson, a D.C. fire and emergency service department spokesman. The firefighters encountered a mixture of pesticides that produced fumes inside the home.

More crime and safety news

Police identify homeless men found dead near D.C. highway

Police identify homeless men found dead near D.C. highway

People who knew one of the men recall him fondly, but also say he was troubled.

Prosecutor argues for extradition of Charles Severance

The 53-year-old is a “person of interest” in three killings in Alexandria.

Ruling allows D.C. fire chief to change crew’s schedules

Ruling allows D.C. fire chief to change crew’s schedules

Kenneth Ellerbe, who has tried to implement the change since 2011, says the plan will save $38 million.

Read more

 
Read what others are saying