D.C. man suspected in taxi holdups misses court
By Peter Hermann,
A man who was arrested and then released without being charged in connection with the robbery of a taxi driver last week missed his day in court for another case on Wednesday. A judge quickly issued a warrant for his arrest.
The man’s attorney told D.C. Superior Court Judge Elizabeth Wingo that his client, 19-year-old Miguel Demonis, was ill and moved to postpone the hearing. Wingo was unsympathetic, noting that Demonis was already being sought by police on a separate charge.
“He would have a lot more credibility with me if he wasn’t wanted on a bench warrant,” Wingo said, denying defense attorney Bryan T. Bookhard’s motion.
Demonis, of Southeast, now has two arrest warrants pending.
D.C. police said they arrested Demonis and a 15-year-old early Friday after their descriptions matched those given by a cabdriver who was robbed at Fourth and Evarts streets NE, in the Edgewood neighborhood.
Police said the suspects were being investigated in a series of attempted robberies and robberies of cabdrivers last week along the Rhode Island Avenue corridor.
But prosecutors with the U.S. attorney’s office declined to file charges against Demonis, setting him free. No explanation was given. On Tuesday, police obtained an arrest warrant charging Demonis in another taxi robbery. As of Wednesday afternoon, they had not found him.
Demonis was to be sentenced Wednesday after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor count of possessing a pellet gun. Court documents say that charge stemmed from a January arrest at Union Station in connection with an earlier cab robbery.
Bookhard declined further comment on the case Wednesday.