Prince George’s County Executive Rushern L. Baker III (D) will hold a telephone town hall at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday to discuss his plan to takeover the county school system.
Baker wants to have direct control over the school superintendent and the system’s $1.7 billion budget, a move that would significantly limit the role of the county Board of Education.
Reaction to the proposal has been mixed, with some parents applauding the plan and union and civic leaders opposing it.
Residents who want to participate in the town hall should send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11 a.m. Tuesday. The e-mail should include “Telephone Town Hall” in the subject line and include name, address and a phone number where you can be reached. Several thousand county residents also will be invited to participate in the town hall, county officials said.
Residents can also offer written testimony about the proposal to the Prince George’s House delegation by sending an e-mail to email@example.com by Wednesday.
Del. Jolene Ivey (D-Prince George’s) and Sen. Douglas J.J. Peters (D-Prince George’s), the county delegation chairs, said last week that public hearings (which are still unscheduled) will be held in Annapolis to discuss the proposal.