Baker plans to ask Crawley to stay on as interim Pr. George’s superintendent


Interim Prince George’s Superintendent Alvin Crawley submitted his resignation last month. His last day is June 3. County Executive Rushern Baker plans to ask him to stay on. (Sarah L. Voisin/WASHINGTON POST)

Prince George’s County Executive Rushern L. Baker III (D) said he plans to ask interim school superintendent Alvin Crawley to rescind his resignation and stay on at least through the end of his contract, which ends June 30.  

Crawley, who was one of the three finalists selected by the school board to become the school system’s permanent superintendent, submitted his resignation last month. His last day is June 3.

Crawley’s decision, which some said would create additional uncertainty for the district, came after the General Assembly approved legislation that gives Baker the power to select the new schools chief, appoint three school board members and name the board chairman and vice chair.

“Certainly we want to talk to him about that,” Baker said Thursday.

Crawley has served as interim superintendent since September, replacing William R. Hite Jr., who left to take the top job in Philadelphia. Crawley became the school system’s seventh schools chief in 14 years.

The search committee was formed earlier this month and Baker hopes to “move as quickly as possible,” but realizes that it will take time to find the right person to fill the position.

Crawley could not be reached for comment.

Baker is hosting a so-called “unity” breakfast Friday with some school board members, union leaders and elected officials.

The gathering comes a little more than a week before the new governance structure goes into effect on June 1.

Ovetta Wiggins writes about K-12 education.
Comments
Show Comments
Most Read Local