Laptop battery causes apartment fire in Manassas, officials say

An overheated laptop battery caused bedding to ignite and three adults were displaced from a townhouse on Sandalwood Drive in Manassas on Monday night, authorities said.

Crews from Manassas, Manassas Park and Prince William responded to the blaze in the 9000 block of Sandalwood around 9:45 p.m. and had it under control within 10 minutes, according to a Manassas news release. Three firefighters were taken to the hospital, two from Lake Jackson Volunteer Fire Department and one from the Manassas fire department. The three were taken for precautionary reasons because of elevated blood pressure and heart rate, said Manassas spokeswoman Patty Prince. All three were treated and released.

Prince said she did not know the type of laptop that officials believe caused the fire. Heat from the laptop battery apparently caused bedding to ignite, Prince said.

The three adults who lived in the townhouse are being assisted by the Red Cross, officials said. Damage is estimated at more than $40,000, but the damage is repairable, Prince said.

local

Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Comments
Show Comments
Most Read Local

local

Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.