George T. Churchill, 90, a retired Foreign Service officer who in retirement pursued a second career as a stained-glass artist, died of congestive heart failure Nov. 26 at his home in Alexandria.
His wife, Marlene Churchill, confirmed the death.
Mr. Churchill served 26 years in the Foreign Service before retiring in 1976, and his postings included Athens, where he was chief of the economic division at the U.S. Embassy. He headed the Greek desk at the State Department in Washington and participated in preparations for the Paris negotiations to end the war in Vietnam.
In retirement, he apprenticed in stained-glass art at the Torpedo Factory Art Center in Alexandria, where he later became board president. His work included the stained-glass windows at the Episcopal parish of St. James and St. Monica on Capitol Hill, and a glass-and-aluminum piece called “Spirit Rising” for Mount Vernon Unitarian Church.
George Thompson Churchill was born in Boston. He graduated from Yale University in 1943 and served in the Army in the Philippines during and after World War II. He received a master’s degree in economics from Tufts University in 1959.
His first wife, Nancy Elizabeth Goss, whom he married in 1944, died in 1977.
Survivors include his wife of nine years, Marlene Lovelace Shaw Churchill of Alexandria; five children from his first marriage, David Churchill of Washington, Paul Churchill of Westminster, Md., George Churchill of Reno, Nev., Anne Churchill of Roundhead, Ohio, and Steven Churchill of Hillsborough, N.C.; nine grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
— Bart Barnes