Sarah C. Hansen, gallery owner
Sarah C. Hansen, 95, a former owner of the Glass Gallery, located first in Bethesda and later in Friendship Heights, died Feb. 1 at the Ingleside at Rock Creek retirement community in the District.
She had congestive heart failure, said her daughter, Deborah Trunzo.
Mrs. Hansen opened the Glass Gallery with her husband in 1981 and closed it after his death in 2006. The store specialized in modern art and featured works by artists from around the world. In 2000, The Washington Post described Mrs. Hansen as “a quiet force in the glass-art movement during the past three decades.”
Sarah Eveleth Campbell was born in Attleboro, Mass. She received a bachelor’s degree in French from Wellesley College in Massachusetts in 1938 and a master’s degree in education from Boston University in the early 1940s.
Mrs. Hansen moved to the Washington area after joining the Navy Waves during World War II and settled permanently in the area in 1951. In the 1950s and ’60s, she accompanied her husband on Defense Department assignments in Australia, where the couple developed a collection of 20th-century Australian art.
Beginning in the late 1960s, Mrs. Hansen ran several antique shops in Bethesda, including Eveleth and Summerford Associates. She did volunteer work with organizations including the National Symphony Orchestra.
Her husband of 62 years, Edwin “Ned” Hansen, died in 2006. Survivors include two children, Deborah Trunzo of Gaithersburg and David Hansen of Melbourne, Australia; two sisters; five grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
— Emily Langer