Police end barricade situation near Lincoln Park after persuading wanted man to surrender

A nearly 12-hour standoff between D.C. police and a man they were trying to arrest near Capitol Hill’s Lincoln Park ended Wednesday with a peaceful surrender, according to authorities.

The suspect was identified as David Joseph Robertson, 25, of Southeast. Police said he had been wanted on an arrest warrant charging him with failing to appear for an Aug. 1 court hearing on a charge that he assaulted a police officer in April.

More crime and safety news

After shooting near zoo, Woodley Park residents meet with officials

After shooting near zoo, Woodley Park residents meet with officials

Zoo and police leaders discuss the violence on Connecticut Avenue and security at the zoo’s Easter Monday events.

Montgomery detective saves woman from fatal house fire

After seeing smoke from the road, he ran inside and carried woman out but was unable to rescue her husband.

Michael Brown should serve more than 3 years, prosecutors say

Memorandum in former D.C. Council member’s bribery case is meant to influence sentencing by judge.

Read more

The situation began about 10 p.m. Tuesday and drew dozens of police officers and heavily armed members of the tactical squad to the 1300 block of East Capitol St., closing traffic on several other roads and forcing commuters to seek alternate routes.

Police said that when they tried to deliver the warrant, the suspect refused to open the door to his apartment and barricaded himself inside.

Officer Araz Alali, a police spokesman, a woman was inside the apartment with Robertson and was briefly held against her will. Alali said the woman escaped sometime during the standoff. Hostage negotiators were called to the scene.

Alali said Robertson surrendered about 9 a.m. on Wednesday.

According to court records, the assault charge against Robertson stems from an April 26 incident after police stopped him after seeing him riding a bicycle without a front headlight through Lincoln Park.

Police said an officer approached Robertson as he sat on a bench after getting off the bike, suspecting that he was smoking marijuana, according to court documents. Police said they confiscated a smoking pipe and several rounds of ammunition in his pockets.

The court documents say Robertson refused to be handcuffed and struggled with officers, kicking them and trying to bite one on the hand. He was charged with assault on a police officer, possession of unregistered ammunition and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Peter Hermann contributed to this report.

Read what others are saying