A request for funding for a long-planned museum in Dale City won’t be considered at the Prince William Board of County Supervisors’ Tuesday meeting, as had been expected.
Even though raising funds for the Americans in Wartime Museum has been difficult because of the tough economic times, the museum’s leaders have decided not to ask for an additional $1 million over five years from Prince William because of the ongoing controversy surrounding allocations to nonprofits groups, said the museum’s chairman, Allan D. Cors. The organization was about $627,000 in the red in 2010, primarily for fundraising costs, according to its public tax return.
In June, the board settled a long-running dispute about allocating unspent office funds to nonprofit organizations, and Supervisor Peter K. Candland (R-Gainesville) introduced a measure that would require supervisors to disclose their volunteer activities and those of their spouses.
“There’s a lot of controversial stuff going on right now,” Cors said. “We just felt like we didn’t need to be involved in that kind of thing. We’d love to have the financial support.”
Craig Stewart, the former president of the museum, said he stepped aside after starting a new job at the District office of Bernstein Global Wealth Management. He said he serves in an unpaid position on the organization’s board of trustees.
Stewart said that a tough economy has been hard for every nonprofit group in the country and that he’s optimistic the recently contracted Falls Church-based group of Odell, Simms & Lynch can help in the efforts.
Cors said he is “deeply grateful” for the county’s past support of the museum, which included helping arrange a deal whereby the Dale City site was donated by the well-known Hylton family. The county has already invested $821,565 into the museum, said Nikki Brown, a county spokeswoman.
Supervisors are still expected to take up the allocation of unspent money from last year on Tuesday that includes $24.7 million in general fund money and $26.6 million for capital and other projects. The majority of the money has already been budgeted for programs approved in the fiscal 2013 budget, said David Sinclair, a county budget official.
The Northern Virginia Conservation Trust was also expected to ask for $50,000 to fund a job to work on land conservation, but that, too, has been taken out of the “carryover” budget. NVCT could not be reached for comment Friday afternoon.