D.C. police have announced the arrest of a 17-year-old in connection with the 2009 shooting deaths of two teenagers, one of them a 15-year-old ninth-grader caught in a crossfire between groups fighting over a stolen gun in Northeast Washington.
The name of the suspect, who was arrested Tuesday night, was not released because he is a juvenile. He was at least 14 on the October afternoon when the two teens were killed in the 5300 block of Clay Terrace NE.
Police said they charged him with second-degree murder. They did not describe his role in the incident.
Three other suspects were arrested earlier, and each pleaded guilty in May to two counts of voluntary manslaughter and weapons violations, according to the U.S. attorney’s office.
Those defendants are Sequarn Tibbs, 21, Antonio Barnes, 21, and Earl Jackson, 20, all of the District. Barnes is scheduled to be sentenced June 28; Jackson, on July 20; and Tibbs, on Aug. 16. Each defendant faces up to 20 years on the manslaughter conviction and up to 25 years on other offenses.
The shooting occurred on Oct. 13, 2009. Five people ranging in age from 15 to 18 were wounded, police said. Davonta Artis, 15, of Northeast Washington and Daquan Tibbs, 18, of Southeast were killed.
Prosecutors said the suspects were members of a group called Young Savage, associated with the 37th Place Crew. Police said the teenagers went to Clay Terrace looking to take back a gun and money they believed had been stolen.
After the guilty pleas in May, the U.S. attorney’s office said the shootings were precipitated by a day-long standoff. Late Oct. 12 or early Oct. 13, prosecutors said, the suspects rode through Clay Terrace in a taxi, armed with .45-caliber, .40-caliber and 9mm pistols.
They went to the house of a rival crew member’s mother and later confronted members of the rival crew, demanding the return of a .38-caliber revolver taken in a burglary. The Young Savage teens left but returned that afternoon, prosecutors said, and engaged in gun battle in an area of Clay Terrace known as Briscoe Court.
Authorities said that the slain 18-year-old, Tibbs, was involved in the gunfight but that the 15-year-old, Artis, was an innocent bystander.
Artis’s cousin John Reddick told The Washington Post in October 2009 that Artis was a well-behaved teen who minded his parents and met his 8:30 p.m. curfew. Artis attended a ninth-grade academy that was being housed at Ronald H. Brown Middle School, according to a teacher.
Principal Darrin Slade told The Post at the time that Artis was new to the school and was “well behaved and pretty quiet.”