● Get some exercise: lack of exercise can lead to weak legs. Exercise programs such as tai chi can increase strength and improve balance.
● Review your medications: some medicines or combinations can have side effects such as dizziness or drowsiness.
● Keep your vision sharp: older adults should have their eyes checked every year.
Eliminate hazards at home:
● Remove things you can trip over.
●Install handrails and lights on all staircases.
● Remove small throw rugs, or use double-sided tape to keep them from slipping.
●Keep items you use often in cabinets you can reach easily without using a step stool.
●Put grab bars inside and next to the tub or shower and next to the toilet.
●Use non-slip mats in the bathtub and on shower floors.
●Improve lighting in your home.
●Wear shoes both inside and outside the house; avoid going barefoot or wearing slippers.