Planetary Resources is 100% serious about mining asteroids near Earth for their precious resources. At a launch event this past April, the company said it would launch phase one of its mission within two years and use the next decade just to identify resource-rich asteroids.
Now it’s looking for interns to help it accomplish its goals. The company writes:
“PRI’s vision is to mine near-Earth asteroids for raw materials, ranging from water to precious metals through the rapid development of innovative and cost-effective exploration technologies. Resource extraction from asteroids will deliver multiple benefits to humanity and grow to be valued at tens of billions of dollars annually. The effort will tap into the high concentration of precious materials found on asteroids and will provide a foundation for further space exploration and a sustainable supply of raw materials to the ever-growing population on Earth. It may sound like science fiction, but it’s just science!
Planetary Resources, Inc (PRI), The Asteroid Mining Company, is seeking qualified and enthusiastic candidates for paid cooperative education positions to assist in the development of new systems and technologies for the commercial robotic exploration of near Earth asteroids in our Bellevue, WA location. Applicants should have an interest in space systems design and application and should expect a hands-on, intense and dynamic work environment.
PRI is currently reviewing candidates for a start of employment in January, 2013.”
Candidates that want to be seriously considered for the position in Bellevue, Wash. (just outside of Seattle) need to posses the following characteristics:
• Current academic enrollment as Junior or Senior in one of the following disciplines:
- Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical, or Computer Systems Engineering
- Engineering Physics, Engineering Mechanics
- Computer Science
• GPA of 3.2 or higher
• Previous work experience, research, and/or student team project involvement related to your field of study
• Excellent demonstrated technical communication and teaming skills (provide examples)
• Ability to commit to a January – August 2013 work period. DO NOT APPLY if you are only available during the summer time frame, we may have a posting for “summer only” in the future.
Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2012/10/01/plantetary-resources-asteroid-mining-internships/#yVlemirAwoSJrb1y.99
Copyright 2012, VentureBeat