Mike Shanahan suggests Redskins not done with salary cap case


Mike Shanahan (Toni Sandys / The Washington Post)

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan suggested Monday that the team isn’t done contesting the $36 million in salary cap reductions over two years that it was given in March by the NFL.

“I can’t answer that at this time,” Shanahan said. “So that means we’re still involved in it. Yes, we’re still involved in it. When I can speak about that, I will speak. But at this time, I can’t. I think that answers your question.”

The league, with the consent of the players’ union, gave the Redskins a $36 million cap reduction over two years for the way in which the team structured players’ contracts during the sport’s season without a salary cap in 2010. The Dallas Cowboys were given a $10 million salary cap reduction over two years. The league ruled that the teams technically violated no salary cap rules but attempted to gain an unfair competitive advantage.

The teams denied wrongdoing and challenged the cap reductions in an arbitration case. But that case was dismissed by an arbitrator in May. The union filed a collusion case against the league the following day, accusing teams of operating with a secret salary cap in the uncapped year. But a federal judge in Minnesota dismissed the union’s collusion case last week.

Several people familiar with the case have said they believe it’s highly unlikely that the Redskins or Cowboys will be able to regain any of the salary cap space they’ve lost.

 

Mark Maske covers the NFL for The Washington Post.

sports

football-insider

Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Comments
Show Comments
Next Story
Mark Maske · January 7, 2013