Shaun White may have had a rough Olympics on the halfpipe, but he won hearts worldwide when he followed up his disappointing performance by meeting with a pair of cancer survivors who had flown 6,000 miles to see him compete.
But that hasn’t been the only heartwarming moment of the Games. Here’s a look at the top five:
From the slopes to the sidelines to a karaoke bar, Washington Post sports columnist Mike Wise shares his most memorable moments covering the Winter Olympics so far. (Casey Capachi/The Washington Post)
Columinist Mike Wise’s top five include:
1. Shaun White meeting the Make a Wish kids
2. His cousin, David Wise, preparing to ski in his first Olympics
3. Learning Russian customs from the locals
4. The awesome Russian hockey music video
5. Post writer Dave Sheinin creating opera fans out of journalists and locals at the Sochi karaoke bars
With six more days of competition left, the list is sure to grow.
More Olympics news
NBC’s interview with Bode Miller leaves skier in tears
Why the U.S. stinks at curling
U.S. women’s hockey cruises to gold medal game with 6-1 win
Bob Costas returns to NBC’s primetime coverage Monday night
Snowboard cross postponed until Tuesday
Jenkins: Sochi was the wrong choice. Dangerous snow is one reason.
Olympic hockey playoff bracket is set
At Winter Olympics, many medals rest on judges’ decisions
Small Minn. town produces another Olympic duo
Photos from Day 10 | Daily TV schedule | U.S. medal winners