There have been a couple of high-profile bits of news recently involving people sneaking into the World Trade Center site. And a couple of CNN employees who allegedly decided to report on this by breaking into the World Trade Center site themselves were caught and arrested on Tuesday, according to authorities.
First, some table setting: Earlier this month, a 16-year-old from Weehawken was charged with trespassing after allegedly sneaking through a hole in the fence at the site and climbing to the top of 1 World Trade Center. And just this week, four men were arrested for breaking into the same site last fall so that three of them could base jump off the same building (the bonkers footage from that jump also came out this week).
That brings us to this latest news. Two CNN employees — Yon Pomrenze, 35, of New York, and Connor Fieldman Boals, 26, of Brooklyn — tried repeatedly to break into the site on Tuesday, said the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.
The men, who had a GoPro video camera and another video camera on a tripod, really wanted to get into the site. According to the Port Authority, they tried going through one gate, but were stopped by a police officer; one of them was seen twice climbing the fence, but was stopped; and they tried to push their way through a gate before finally being arrested.
And they did this in the middle of the afternoon, rather than at night, which is when the teens and the skydivers broke in.
“Pomrenze and Boals told the officer words to the effect that that if a 16-year-old could get on the site, they should also be able to get in,” Joe Pentangelo, a Port Authority spokesman, said in a statement sent to The Washington Post.
CNN said in an e-mail to Reuters that the producers were assigned to do a story about the recent break-ins, but weren’t asked to actually sneak onto the site.
They have been charged with criminal trespass, obstructing a government administration and disorderly conduct.