This is just a reminder that:
• 35 percent of women have experienced physical or sexual violence.
• One in five women in college have been sexually assaulted.
• 30 percent of women report that they have experienced physical or sexual violence from their partner while in a relationship.
• Four out of five victims of “intimate partner violence” in the United States between 1994 and 2010 were women.
• 8.1 percent of women reported being stalked at some point in their lives.
Of course, it’s difficult to fully quantify the larger problem of violence against women, because it’s hard to find conclusive data telling us how many women have felt threatened in a public place or how many women have had to change their route home. Such stories are available in conversation and, increasingly, on social media. And they only begin to tell us about problems that have deep, underlying cultural roots.