A 34-year-old New Hampshire man has been arrested and charged with kidnapping Abigail Hernandez, who went missing for nine months before returning home last week.
Nathaniel E. Kibby, 34, of Gorham, N.H., was arrested midday Monday and charged with one count of felony kidnapping, according to a statement from New Hampshire Attorney General Joseph A. Foster. Kibby, the statement said, was charged “for knowingly confining Abigail Hernandez … with a purpose to commit an offense against her.”
Kibby will be arraigned in district court Tuesday, according to the attorney general’s office.
Hernandez disappeared Oct. 9, when the then-14-year-old was spotted walking out of Conway High School with her backpack. She wasn’t seen again until last week, when she was reunited with her family.
Few details have emerged about what happened to Hernandez during those nine months, and the attorney general’s office said no further information would be released until a media briefing following the arraignment.
“Over the course of the past week, law enforcement officers have worked around the clock to ascertain the facts and circumstances surrounding Abigail’s disappearance and return,” the statement said. “Abigail Hernandez provided the police with details of her kidnapping sufficient to warrant today’s arrest.”
The arrest came just hours after the girl’s mother, Zenya Hernandez, appeared on NBC’s “Today” and denied widespread rumors about her daughter’s disappearance.
“The majority of people somehow believe that she was pregnant; she was not,” Zenya Hernandez told “Today,” adding: “She did not run away.”
She also said her daughter was thin and “very pale” when she returned home eight days ago.
“It’s something that’s haunting me, and I think will haunt me for the rest of my life.”