Maine Gov. Paul LePage (R), whose budget veto was just overridden by state legislators, told reporters Wednesday that he might not seek a second term.
“I am going to be meeting with my family at some point and we are going to be talking it over,” LePage said, according to the Bangor Daily News. “Quite frankly, I don’t know how you recover from this. I really don’t know how you recover from a tax increase. This is a giant obstacle. It’s like having a giant hole in the bottom of your ship and you are trying to get across the pond.”
Last week LePage suggested he might run for Congress instead of another term as governor. But he said Thursday that he would not do so.
LePage battled his own party over the budget, calling a government shutdown preferable to the bipartisan compromise worked out in the legislature. In a recent op-ed, a top ranking Republican in the state Senate, Assistant Senate Republican Leader Roger Katz, said he was "embarrassed" by the governor.
“I don’t have any more priorities,” LePage added. “We put it all in the budget and got defeated.”
Should he run again, LePage will face voters next year. His approval rating is weak, but a three-way race could help him win reelection, just as one brought him into office in 2010.