Rep. Vance McAllister (R-La.) told his local newspaper Monday night that, despite the release of a video that shows the married congressman making out with one of his staffers, he does not intend to resign and plans to seek reelection in November.
In an exclusive interview with the Monroe News Star, McAllister said he will seek reelection “unless there is an outcry for me not to serve, and so far there has been an outpouring of support, not for my actions, but for me to continue to represent the people."
He added: “If the people are willing to forgive me I’ll keep fighting. If there’s somebody more perfect than me who they support, it’s their will.”
On Monday, another local news outlet released a video that depicted McAllister, who campaigned on his conservative Christian faith, kissing a paid member of his staff inside of his district office in December.
Aides to McAllister confirmed to The Post that the staff member, who had recently joined the staff at the time of the romantic encounter, has been dropped from the congressman's payroll.
According to Legistorm, a congressional staff salary database, the staffer in the video worked part-time and earned less than $22,000 a year. She is one of the only members of McAllister’s staff who is not a holdover from the staff hired by former congressman Rodney Alexander (R), who resigned last year and now serves as Secretary of the Louisiana Department of Veterans Affairs.
Federal Election Commission records show that both the staffer and her husband donated thousands of dollars to McAllister's campaign.
McAllister's aides confirmed details in the News Star exclusive, including that McAllister's wife was aware of the affair prior to the video's release.
The release of the video catapulted McAllister from the depths of the congressional roster into the spotlight on Monday. Prior, the freshman congressman, who has gone to great lengths to solidify his social conservative credentials, was perhaps best known for inviting a member of the politically-controversial television show "Duck Dynasty" as his guest to the State Of the Union address.
Reporters on Monday found his office door locked, and several waited for him at a House vote scheduled for Monday evening but the congressman did not attend. McAllister issued a statement Monday evening apologizing to his wife and to his constituents.
Rep. Eric Cantor, (R-Va.), on Tuesday, said he was glad McAllister had issued an apology and that Americans should expect "a very high standard of behavior and conduct." from their members of Congress.