- Two encouraging stories of wayward police officer being held accountable: In Texas, a cop who shot a family’s dog while responding to a burglary call has been fired. And in Knoxville, Tennessee, a deputy who was photographed choking a handcuffed college student has also been fired.
- The U.S. Supreme Court could have another opportunity to address prosecutor misconduct. Alas, the justices still need to vote to take the case, and so far, they’ve shown little interest in the problem.
- University of Hawaii student is told she can only hand out copies of the U.S. Constitution while standing in a pre-designated “free speech zone.”
- Another isolated incident: Police in Bakersfield, California, break down the wrong door , terrify a woman and her five young kids.
- Here’s the latest ridiculous “You’ll never believe what teens are doing to get high!” panic, courtesy of your local news.
- Undercover marijuana buy erupts into shootout in a busy shopping area. Your latest example of how prohibiting pot is far more dangerous than smoking it.
Radley Balko blogs about criminal justice, the drug war and civil liberties for The Washington Post. He is the author of the book "Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America's Police Forces."