- A California city attempts to ban bullying with a law that will almost certainly result in First Amendment challenges.
- Police at a veterans hospital in Salt Lake City used a guise to obtain information about a planned protest.
- The Taser was supposed to be a substitute for lethal force. Unfortunately, police are increasingly using it to force compliance, as this Oregon officer did against a skateboarder.
- Teacher shows students pornographic movie. Students who document it get suspended. It’s probably a safe bet that the suspension here was really for embarrassing the school.
- Stephen Hawking: You really should be worried about the robot revolution.
- New Mine Resistant Ambush Protected armored personnel carriers from the Pentagon go to Marion, Ohio (population: 37,000) and Storm Lake, Iowa (population: 10,800). The sheriff of Buena Vista County, Iowa (population: 20,300), where Storm Lake is located, also has his own separate MRAP. So does the Iowa sheriff of Jasper County (population: 36,600). Prior posts on MRAPs in small-town America here and here.
- Chuck Schumer, being Chuck Schumer, wants to ban powdered alcohol.
Radley Balko blogs about criminal justice, the drug war and civil liberties for The Washington Post. He is the author of the book "Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America's Police Forces."